Ranking Member Jamie Raskin Releases Memo Undermining Republicans’ False Claims of “Bombshell” Evidence Against President Biden in Devon Archer Interview
Washington, D.C. (August 3, 2023)—Today, Rep. Jamie Raskin, Ranking Member of the Committee on Oversight and Accountability, released a memo showing how Committee Republicans have grossly misrepresented the transcribed interview the Committee conducted with Devon Archer, Hunter Biden’s former business associate.
“Once again, Committee Republicans’ priority investigation into President Biden has failed to produce any evidence of wrongdoing by President Biden. On Monday, Devon Archer, Hunter Biden’s former business associate, confirmed in a transcribed interview that President Biden was never involved in Hunter’s business dealings, never profited from such dealings, and never took official action in relation to these business dealings. Mr. Archer repeatedly explained that across a decade-long relationship with Hunter Biden, he was not aware of President Biden ever discussing Hunter Biden’s business. Instead, Devon Archer described how Hunter Biden sold the ‘illusion’ of access to his father—access he never actually provided. The transcript released today shows the extent to which Congressional Republicans are willing to distort, twist, and manipulate the facts presented by their own witness just to keep fueling the far-right media’s obsession with fabricating wrongdoing by President Biden in a desperate effort to distract from Donald Trump’s third indictment and the overwhelming evidence of his persistent efforts to undermine American democracy,” said Ranking Member Raskin.
The Committee’s memo summarized the following key facts:
- In response to Republican questioning, Mr. Archer clarified that Hunter Biden provided access to a Washington D.C. team of lawyers, lobbyists, and government relations professionals—but not to his father.
- Mr. Archer made clear that, to his knowledge, President Biden never took any action to benefit his son’s business ventures. Mr. Archer also indicated that he did not think Hunter Biden had the ability to influence foreign policy through his father.
- Hunter Biden sometimes sold the “illusion” of access to his father, but Devon Archer never witnessed Hunter Biden discuss business with his father, much less ask him to take any official action to benefit him, a client, or a business partner.
- Contrary to baseless Republican allegations, Mr. Archer confirmed that he never understood President Biden to have ever taken any official action to benefit Burisma or any of Hunter Biden’s business ventures. To the contrary, Mr. Archer explained that actions taken by then-Vice President Biden to remove a corrupt Ukrainian prosecutor were harmful to Burisma.
- In his transcribed interview, Mr. Archer also discredited the allegations contained in the Form FD-1023 which Committee Republicans released in July, stating that he was not aware of any $5 million payments made to the Bidens and chalked them up to the kind of brag, exaggeration, and fib that are common among Ukrainian businessmen.
- When asked about phone calls between President Biden and his son, Mr. Archer also debunked Republican claims that President Biden and Hunter Biden spoke about Hunter Biden’s business dealings. Mr. Archer also noted that the father and son often spoke daily, especially after the untimely passing of Beau Biden. Sometimes others were in the room during these calls and talked to President Biden, but the conversations were always limited to mundane subjects like the weather, and that none of those conversations involved Hunter’s business affairs.
Click here for the Committee memo.